I was relating to someone a few months ago, how I felt that I'd had a similar experience to the one claimed by Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon Church. They then asked if I was planning on starting my own Church, to which I responsed that I had no intention of doing that, since I think that might be where Mr. Smith has lost sight of what it was he may have seen in his vision.
That said however, as I was mowing the lawn over the weekend, I got to thinking about what I would look for in a Church. It's spawned other discussions with the wife since then, and I think the key question we are asking ourselves at this point, is how to be in the Church, but not of the Church. How can we use it as a supplement to teach our children basic principles of honesty and other things, without getting them sucked into all the crap, and believe me that the is a ton of crap surrounding it...
So, if I were in charge, then Church would be very different.
1. I wouldn't really be in charge, the church is about individual growth, not about following a leader.
2. Meetings would take place weekly in homes, at parks or any other location appropriate for such a gathering.
3. I think the sacrament/communion is an important part of it, so I'd probably keep that, but look at the reason for doing it, rather than seeing it as something you have to do to save your soul.
4. The speech/classroom teaching format appears to be counterproductive to free though. When I was a missionary we used to share a scripture that talked about the reason to attend church. "And the Church did meet together oft to fast and to pray and to speak one with another." Church is about discussion not teaching. Perhaps people could volunteer to lead a discussion, but ultimately it needs to remain a discussion. Topics could include God, Christ, other spiritual matters, Science, Physics, Geography and anything else. The goal is to find more truth and enhance our understanding of relationships between eachother and with the spiritual world.
5. Children would not be forced to sit and listen. Parents are responsible to teach then and while the discussion could be a vehicle for doing that, it's between the Parents and the children.
6. No dress standards. Dress comfortably and in a manner which facilitates free discussion on any topic.
7. No criticism will be tolerated. That said, the exchange of ideas is vital to the understanding of truth. Open debate and discussion is the perfect way to achieve this, as long as it takes place in a civil manner.
I'm sure there are more idea's I could come up with, but that's about it. There will also be no tithing or offerings. I think the benefits of charitable giving are clear enough, and an individual can decide that on their own merits.
Not that I'm planning on doing this, but if I did... Anyone interested?
Interesting thoughts Urban. I thought I'd check out your blog and you have some interesting insights. I've added your blog to my list over at the Hornet's Next.
ReplyDeleteBest Regards.
Thanks Obi Wan!!
ReplyDeleteI feel like I've had a 'celebrity' visit! Thanks too for adding me on your blog roll - its quite the honor.