Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Being Cast Out...

So as many of you know, I've become literally obsessed with endurance sports over the past couple of years, and with that has come an interest in those who compete at the highest levels.

A few weeks back at the track and field championships in Berlin, a young South African runner cleaned up in the 800m event. I used to run the 800m and I lived in South Africa, so it's like the triple whammy as far as getting my interest piqued.

There is some controversy though... Prior to the competition however she tested with rather high testosterone levels, which raised some questions. Add to that the fact that she has the build of a man, talks like a man and runs like a man, and many are questioning whether or not she is a man. Genetic testing is currently being done, but unfortunately prior to the results being released, the media has had an absolute field day with it.

If she is indeed a young lady, and the elevated testosterone is primarily due to training - which is possible, then this whole experience is really unfortunate for her. Of course if she is a dude, then I think the force of the international community will come down on her like a ton of bricks (although has already, even prior to testing results being released.)

I bring this up, because recently she modeled for a populer South African magazine -YOU. She looked very glamourous and made up, although I should imagine it's hard for any highly trainied female athlete to look completely feminine due to the lack of curves.

All that aside, sharing the front cover was a wee section covering the magazines interview with the winner of Survivor Canada. A young Mormon guy, named Todd.

Now here's the interesting thing... I don't follow survivor, but last time a Mormon did well on the show, it was covered by all of the news stations in Utah. Not only that, but she got a job afterwards as a reporter and has been in the public eye a great deal. She didn't even win the competition!!

But here, you have a mormon fellow from Utah and the guy won Survivor China. That's a huge accomplishment!!!! But why do I only hear about it when checking out the cover of a foreign magazine...

Oh I should perhaps add 1 other minor detail. Todd is openly gay.

You see Mormonism is like one big happy family. We all work together, we all love each other, and we all celebrate each others success. In many ways it's like my own family, just on a slightly larger scale.

When I was about 15, I guess I was going through a bit of a rough patch. I have a younger brother who is slightly more than a year younger than me, and there was always a lot of sibling rivalry. In hindsight, I think my parents fueled a lot of it, but I was a bit of a turd to him as well.

I seem to recall that my parents did smack me around a little because of this - nothing serious like being whipped with a belt or anything, and in fact they deny ever having laid a hand on me (Seems I had nightmares when I was 2 and thats where I remember being smacked around from). But I digress. I think it stemmed from an altercation with my brother, but the sentence was passed that I would be excluded from the family for a period of time.

It was an interesting thing... I thought I'd gained some freedom, but they still wanted to know where I was at all times and all of that, I just couldn't speak to any member of the family or anything like that.

Now let me try and put this into context... In Mormon theology, the idea is that we are all here on earth for our valiance to be tested. Those of us that choose to follow God will receive the reward of exhaltation - the highest degree of glory in the here after. The ultimate Mormon Heaven! If you aren't quite as faithful, you are sent to a less desirable place, and if you're really bad, you get banished into outer darkness or Mormon Hell

The big thing with outer darkness is that you will be cutoff from God, and from your family. Essentially, being cast out, cut off or whatever is the worst possible punishment.

Mormon families - at least the ones I know, who are of the super duper devout type, like to use this punishment. Another blog I follow is facing something right now, where the mother of one of the parties involved keeps bringing up how her family will leave her...

My parents tried a similar approach when they discovered this blog late last year - only they combined it with some nasty and vicous accusations as well. But they still love me, they just don't want to see me, only my kids - yeah right!!

It would seem with young Todd, winner of Survivor China, that he's been excluded as well. For super righteous Mormons, being gay is a choice Todd has made. He's willfully rebeling against God, and to add insult to injury, by identifying himself as a mormon, he's embarrassing us. He's like that kid we don't want the neighbors to know we have, and actually I've heard General Authorities say that if you have a gay child you can still love them, but it is perfectly reasonable to never introduce them to your friends or let people know of your relationship to them. Nice!!!

So on behalf of all of us Mormons who don't have our heads stuck up our arses and who actually follow the admonition of Christ to love all men...

Congratulations Todd!! We are proud of your accomplishment! Proud to have a fellow Mormon and Utahn who has achieved something!

And with a staunch record of heterosexuality, may I add that he's one good looking guy!

7 comments:

  1. My interest was piqued by the themes of Mormanism & gay guys in your post, but only a double whammy ;) I thought I'd heard about a hot, gay, mormon guy winning Survivor a while ago, so I googled and found this. I totally agree that it didn't get as much local media attention as it should have, but it was almost two years ago and maybe we just can't remember what it did get. Still, to make up for the injustice, we should totally lobby for his taking over Carole Mikita's between conference documentaries for starting this fall!

    I can't miss out on the chance at teasing you a bit over your last sentance, so a final thought: a person's sexuality depends on their attractions, not necessarily their track record. But I have to say, after seeing Todd's photo I can't imagine many guys wouldn't switch teams if they got the chance with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder though. I've always heard that you can only go to outer darkness, if you literally SEE Christ and fight against him. So, is there a strain of mormon thought that says otherwise? Like, will those who had the gospel and gave it up be sent to outer darkness?
    Perhaps people equate "sinning against the HG" with leaving the church?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's one of those area's in the Gospel that has morphed over time.

    When I was a deacon, I remember one of the Young Women got pregnant, and getting the distinct impression from leaders and my parents that it was all over for her - No chance to go to the temple, no shot at the Celestial Kingdom. I think the Church has mellowed out a lot over the years, and this may be one of those areas. Heck we used to think it was OK to have the prophet pronounce the death sentence an someone guilty of adultery or if a black guy had the audacity to date a white woman!!

    The doctrine as it was last explained to me was that you had to have a sure knowledge of Christ, something which is reserved exclusively for members of the 12. Most of the normal rank and file members aren't good enough for that kind of witness.

    Outer Darkness may be the extreme punishment, but I think even relegation to the Telestial or Terrestrial kingdoms have with them the element of separation from one's loved ones.

    The way I see it, the folks I associate with now online and in other circles, may not be super righteous Mormons, but they're good people, more tolerant than most and far more genuine. If it turns out that I've been duped and end up in the Telestial Kingdom, I think I'll be amongst a pretty great group of people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How dare you Koda, I think that in your comment you were telling me (and others) "see you in hell!!"! I return the sentiment and agree that it should be a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urban. If you're making a shopping list, I prefer Corona and Captain Bastard's. However, I will sin against the HG and my own personal witness by enjoying anything that's on sale....up (down) to and including Keystone, Pabst, Old Milwaukee....but it better be ice cold! Since the Telestial Kingdom is not hell, I'm assuming there will be ice? God, please tell me now if there isn't and I'll try harder.

    See you in Tele.

    Also, thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO!!!!

    And to think, this is supposed to be my serious blog!

    Me and the wife were quite intrigued by your blog, we been talking about getting off the grid for a while, it's just we've been thinking more New Zealand or the Australian Outback...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! Tell me how you really feel!