Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stories

Stories... They're accounts of our experiences, or made up tales to convey a message or entertainment. Generally they can contain bits of both fact and fiction. I read the following quote a week or two ago, and it got me thinking...

I see so many heterosexual marriages where the people go to church religiously but they’re mean to each other and they don’t treat their kids right. How often do you hear people complaining about gay marriages and tsk-tsking when the gay couple adopts a kid? It doesn’t matter to them that the family is very happy; they’ve broken a covenant with God, some people say. Well, to me, if there’s love and respect in a marriage, that’s the covenant with God. What goes on in the bedroom is another story and I don’t want to pass judgment on anyone else’s story. I hate to remember that once I was one of those other kind of people—the kind that judges gays, blacks, other types of different poorly. It makes me deeply ashamed that I was ever like that.

- Michael Groover, Paula Deen’s husband, My Delicious Life with Paula Deen

I'm deeply ashamed as well, because I was one of those people to.

We humans seem to use stories as a way of justifying our actions and feelings as well. When it came to homosexuality, my story was that it was some kind of weakness given to us by a 'loving' Heavenly Father, with him knowing full well that we could over come it.

I'm not gay by any stretch of the imagination, although I must admit that I can definitely appreciate a finely groomed and well toned male body. But the idea that a 'loving' God would give someone the same feelings which I experience when viewing a female body, and do that as a way of 'testing' them just baffles my mind now.

An aquaintence of mine told another story some weeks ago... He think homosexuality happens when a person views so much porn that they become immune to the sight of naked members of the opposite sex, and the only way for them to get their jollies is by engaging in perverse sexual acts, by which he meant, homosexual sexual acts.

First of all... You could line up the 100 most beautiful women in the world, and I could ogle them and have sex with them (well 99 of them at least... Mrs Koda would likely refuse at that point) for days on end. Let me recover a little, and I guarantee you that even a moderately cute lady would still turn my head, whereas, I might be tempted to high five Neil Patrick Harris, but that would be as far as I would be tempted to go with him.

Second, this is just the same old ignorant thinking that homosexuality is purely about sex. It isn't. It is based something far more meaningful than that, but that may be a topic for another post.

Finally, the biggest story out there right now, seems to be fear based.

Homosexuality, and the acceptance of it is somehow going to destroy our civilization. Our religions will be targeted, our freedoms will be taken away and a whole host of other atrocities befall us, if we acknowledge that perhaps some people feels differently from the way we do.

At the end of the day though, they're just stories designed to try and make the bigots feel better about themselves. Hey, it even worked on me for a while.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Exposing myself to vast amounts of female porn will turn me gay, because I will become immune to the nakedness of the female body. Well, like you I'm not gay, but I do understand you thoughts of being able to appreciate the body of a male in great shape. But, lets just say your buddy is right. Now I'm gay and my addiction to porn hasn't ceased, just switched over to men. So now, if we allow his logic to rule and run its course, I'll naturally expose myself to vast amounts of male porn and eventually become immune to the sight of a naked man. Sounds to me like he stumbled upon a cure for homosexuality that I'm sure he will be less than pleased to hear about. Or, am I suddenly asexual? I assure everyone out there that being asexual is not an outcome of high probability.

    Ah, it's nice to know there is a plan to switch your gender preferences to whatever you like, but it sounds like you've really got to put your shoulder to the wheel and stroke along....that is until you get what you want and then you just have to slow down a bit to maintain the course.

    You gotta love the shortsighted solutions we humans cling to for answers to problems that aren't even ours.

    Thanks for the post Koda. You got my wheels spinning today! Good luck with your buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Curie - As I wrote the section on appreciating the male body, the image you posted this morning was front and center in my mind!

    Your posts of the last month or 2 have given me a great deal to think about and consider as well, so Thanks!

    Preston... I'm struggling to type since I'm laughing so hard... ...put your shoulder to the wheel and stroke along LMAO!!!

    If I may add to you "problems that aren't even ours."... Or problems that aren't even problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Koda. I like your twist on it better...."problems that aren't even problems"....Amen!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! Tell me how you really feel!