So, I'm officially heading up the Davis and Weber county CALM group for the next little while, and we've got a date for our first meeting!
January 23rd
It'll be a Meet & Greet at our home in Syracuse from 3-5 in the afternoon, and we'll have drinks, cookies and some other snacks.
This meeting will just be a chance to get to know each other, and then work on some ideas for future meetings and activities we can do as a group.
I don't know if many who read this are from the area, but even if you're not, and you want to come, you'd be welcome - just let me know.
I'm pretty excited!
Wish I lived closer... would love to attend! I love the CALM meetings in my area. We get new people every week, and it's growing. More and more are leaving, and it's a great way to support each other and make new friends.
ReplyDeleteThe first meeting lasted like 4 hours because everyone wanted to tell their story. It's hard to keep it short.
I would also likely attend if I lived closer. However my situation may be slightly different because I only reject what the church has become after having been cursed and condemned for the past 170+ years while still believing in the Book of Mormon and many of the early revelations.
ReplyDeleteIn my research I've found that Joseph Smith, like Joseph of Egypt, experienced 7 years of plenty and 7 years of famine, but in his case it was in a spiritual sense. During 1830-1837 he was on the right path while from 1837-1844 he began to hearken to his own desires and fell, as warned in Section 3. It's very likely that he indeed practiced polygamy, but repented of it before he died- though the practice was continued by Brigham Young anyway.
So, to make a long story short, here's why the church has been cursed:
* Advocating and practicing plural marriage, which is clearly stated as forbidden (Jacob 2:30 is NOT an exception).
* Altering the original 1830 Book of Mormon to the point of changing the identity of God.
* Blind obedience to the "bretheren" rather than promoting free agency.
* Masonic blood oath rituals disguised as temple ordinances along with idolatry practiced in the temples (by consecrating everything to the church instead of God).
I can only imagine how well something like that would go over in almost any Mormon or ex-Mormon gathering.
Alas, it's about 2,000 miles out of my way, but I hope you have a fun time and a good turnout!
ReplyDelete