The word allege is just an interesting one... It seems to be key in the news reporting business, allowing the reporter to make a statement, but to do so in such a way as to not stand behind it completely. Legally, it gives them a way out, in case they are wrong. According to WikiPedia - An allegation (also called adduction) is a claim of a fact by a party in a pleading, which the party claims to be able to prove. Allegations remain assertions without proof, until they can be proved.
Anyway, I should like to make some allegations today, and provide a response to a comment which was made, based on those allegations.
First of all, let me set up the foundation for all of this...
I wrote a new post yesterday afternoon, in response to comments made by a top tier leader in the LDS Church. In a speech at one of the Church's schools, he compared the backlash to the Church's support of Proposition 8 to the persecution of Blacks in the Southern States, which I thought was kind of a stretch at least and at most just blatant hypocrisy given the Church's treatment of Blacks through-out it's history. The NAACP share my opinion on this too.
I received an interesting response to the posting however, which, as indicated before, I would like to address, however if you would like to view the original post, you can read it either on this blog by scrolling down to the post directly below, or you can view it in it's original spot, by clicking below...
Dude?!? Wrong Side!!
Alright, so below is the unaltered text, as posted by a commenter to that post....
Anonymous said...
Hello, I found your blog while researching prop 8 a while back. I've read your posts from time to time and I can't really say I understand them, not being LDS. All I can say is you've got some definite issues with Mormons. I am a Catholic transplant to Utah from Connecticut and I don't know much about mormonism, but from your blog posts, I take it I should look elsewhere for an unbiased opinion on them.
The reason I'm commenting is that ever since the prop 8 vote in California, I've never heard mormons maligned so much. I've read news stories about protests so filled with hate toward mormons I can't believe it.
I haven't totally figured out where I stand politically, but I seem to lean left of most Utahns I know. I personally don't see a problem with gays getting married and I don't think I'd go so far as to compare the backlash against mormons to persecution against blacks, but from what I've seen I certainly consider mormons victims of intimidation by the anti prop 8 movement.
I said I don't have a problem with gay marriage, but if the ability to marry is really a "right", I'm not sure it's one I feel the need to fight to defend. "Alleged civil right" sounds about right to me.
If the majority of Californians decide, which they did, to define marriage as hetero only, case closed in my book. Nobody's taking anybody's rights away, and nobody deserves the backlash I've seen.
You've got issues, dude. I won't pretend to understand them. Maybe I'd feel the same had I been mormon. But maybe you should spend more time working that out and less time bashing a church that you apparently still wish to be affiliated with on at least some level.
I started to write a response to this person, but something just wasn't feeling right about it, so I looked around a little more.
I use a service to log visits to my blogs. While I don't necessarily advertise that fact in my posts, if you scroll down, you'll see the little icon for StatCounter. I don't view them too much, but it's fun to see how many visitors I get and where they come from. It tracks IP addresses, service providers and all of that. Nothing nefarious, it's just the information which you computer attaches to any web page request prior to sending it.
Last night I didn't get any visits from Utah, and about 20 minutes before this comment was made the only person who visited was from Snowflake, Arizona...
So I looked up Snowflake, Arizona on Google, and learned a couple of things. The first thing I noticed was that the LDS Church showed up in a lot of the search results...
Snowflake looks to be a wonderful place. It was founded as a Mormon colony by some of the early pioneers to the West, and is now a small community with a population of about 5,000 people. It's largely white, and I would suspect that due to it's founding by Mormons and the recent building of a Mormon temple in the town itself, that the population is largely LDS.
I would like to allege that Mr. Anonymous (or Mrs.) is actually a member of the LDS Church who may or may not be from Snowflake. He claims to be from Salt Lake City, and he may well be, but I can't say for sure. If he follows this blog on the RSS feed, I guess technically he could read the post and leave a comment without leaving a trace, but I'd have to try it out myself sometime...
Anyway, I would allege that they felt the need to respond to my posting, but wanted to try and appear as an objective outside observer.
First, you don't have to try and be someone you're not to have a civil conversation with me. I don't hate members of the Church, and I don't even really hate the Church itself. I have issues with the way certain policies are implemented, how members who question things are treated, but I'm not going to attack you or anything like that.
Second, why lie? (allegedly) I actually did a post on this a week or so back as well. I really like the ideal of honesty. It's key in the LDS Church, and I would suspect all of the major world religions. But lying is why I take issue with the Church, because it isn't honest about it's past. Mormons in good standing are required to answer to the question of "Are you honest in all your dealings with your fellow man?" as part of the process to gain entry to the LDS temple. It's the question I can't answer, because right before it is a question about believing the LDS Church is the true church, and I can't honestly give the yes answer that question required.
Honesty is hugely important to me. I would argue that it's the glue that holds our civilization together.
Anyway, so by way of response to Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous comments with the alleged fact they they are likely a faithful member of the LDS Church who is trying to defend the Church...
Hello, I found your blog while researching prop 8 a while back. I've read your posts from time to time and I can't really say I understand them, not being LDS. All I can say is you've got some definite issues with Mormons. I am a Catholic transplant to Utah from Connecticut and I don't know much about mormonism, but from your blog posts, I take it I should look elsewhere for an unbiased opinion on them.
It's true, if this person is who I think it may be, they have been visiting on a fairly regular basis. I try and keep my LDS views off that other blog though, since most of those who read are not LDS. I don't hide the fact that I have issues with Mormons - that was pretty much why I started blogging.
I am a Catholic transplant to Utah from Connecticut and I don't know much about mormonism OK - that's the second time in the opening paragraph that you've talked about being not knowing much about Mormonism or understanding it. Certain relatives of mine use this technique when trying to manipulate, and as a missionary I was taught to as well... "Help me understand?", "Help me see things your way?". It's quite effective, at least until you figure out what the person is doing....
And lets entertain the statement you made that you are actually a Catholic... You don't know anything about Mormonism, but yet the fact that the LDS Church has taught in the past that the Catholic Church is "The great and abominable church" and "The whore of all the earth" didn't cause you any concern?!?! It's also interesting that this person is from Connecticut - the place Glenn Beck calls home - which could be just coincidence, but I suspect there may be more... Mr. Anonymous, if you're reading this, I think you know what I mean!!
I take it I should look elsewhere for an unbiased opinion on them. Ummmm.. It's not like I promote my blogs as unbiased opinions on Mormonism, in fact if you look at the top of this blog, I think it's pretty apparent that I'm not much of a fan of Mormonism at all.
This blog is my opinion though, and opinions are by their very nature biased - that's what an opinion is... My bias towards any facts which I may share. I think they were trying to make me feel guilty for not being objective or something like that.
Bottom line... If you're going to disagree with me, just be honest about it. OK?
Moving on..
The reason I'm commenting is that ever since the prop 8 vote in California, I've never heard mormons maligned so much. I've read news stories about protests so filled with hate toward mormons I can't believe it.
News stories... Well, now those are interesting. I received a news story by email during the period just prior to the election where Prop 8 was to be voted on. It was by a poor little relief society president who just wanted to go to the temple, but she couldn't because evil, gay loving protesters had blocked the road to the temple, and were screaming obscenities at her, and all she wanted to do was practice her religion, but they wouldn't even let her drive down the road to get into the temple, and she returned home in tears. In reality the protest in question actually took place on a Sunday (When the temple is CLOSED!!!) and the protesters were remarkably peaceful. No vandalism, no trespassing on the actual temple grounds. It seemed to me that the 'News Story' was just a fabrication to try and raise additional funds for the fight for Prop 8. But it was fabricated to support a cause which God wanted supported, so therefore lying is OK.
I haven't totally figured out where I stand politically, but I seem to lean left of most Utahns I know. I personally don't see a problem with gays getting married and I don't think I'd go so far as to compare the backlash against mormons to persecution against blacks, but from what I've seen I certainly consider mormons victims of intimidation by the anti prop 8 movement.
I think they're trying to appear like they're on my side... I seem to lean left of most Utahns I know. Well, that's not exactly hard with most of the State pledging allegiance to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh on a daily basis, but I think this may just be a ploy to act like you understand me. Every statement within that paragraph is pretty non-committal - well until the last one... "I certainly consider Mormons victims of intimidation by the anti prop 8 movement".
I said I don't have a problem with gay marriage, but if the ability to marry is really a "right", I'm not sure it's one I feel the need to fight to defend. "Alleged civil right" sounds about right to me.
I've heard stuff like this before... I'm not a "racist", but I believe that God put a curse on black people because they weren't valiant in the pre-existence. They could very well be kind of in the middle on this issue, but perhaps it would be more helpful for me to explain why I feel the need to defend gay marriage, and why I believe it is a civil right.
There are two sides to marriage. A religious angle and a civil angle. Religions are free to define their definition of marriage, and if it is close enough to the civil definition, then often then both can be met and taken care of at the same time.
This is why at this point in time, an LDS marriage in an LDS Temple is considered legal by the State of Utah, and other states within the union.
But lets look at polygamy, both as practiced currently by the FLDS Church, and in the past by the LDS Church itself. These marriages were recognized within the religious community, but not by the state, because bigamous unions do not meet the civil definition of marriage. While I find some aspects of polygamy disturbing, I feel that if the union is between consenting adults, that it should receive the same protections and recognition as any other marriage. It would be tricky when working out insurance rates and benefits like that, but from the stand point, of hospital visitation rights, inheritance and that kind of thing, I'm fully in favor of it.
I defend the right of same sex couple to marry to offer to them the same protections and benefits I receive in my marriage. If I am hospitalized, my wife will be permitted to visit me. If I die, then she has a claim on my property without excessive taxation. My insurance benefits at work cover both of us, and there are numerous other benefits I receive and have access to, because I have a marriage/civil union which is recognized by the State.
I don't understand how or why people are attracted to members of the same sex, but I do know that if a guy views other guys in the same way I view girls and he views girls in the same way I view guys, then asking or expecting him to change, isn't fair, right, or likely to happen. And by the same token, telling him that such an attraction is evil in the eyes of God, is simple inhumane.
If the majority of Californians decide, which they did, to define marriage as hetero only, case closed in my book. Nobody's taking anybody's rights away, and nobody deserves the backlash I've seen.
This was the paragraph that really got me thinking something wasn't quite what it should be. The standard Mormon response of late has been "Well, the majority of Californians voted for it, and it passed, so just deal with it."
Taking rights away... The whole thing with Prop 8 was taking rights away. The California Supreme Court released a decision which stated that under the Constitution of California, marriage between same sex partners was a fundamental right. Proposition 8 added a clause to Article 1 of the Constitution stating that marriage was to be defined as only being between a man and a woman. This action effectively ended the right of same sex couples to be married under the law. By it's very nature it was designed to take away this right.
And again a reference to the backlash...
I've dealt with this topic before, but perhaps now might be a good time to put all of my arguments on this in one place.
I'm only aware of 2 main forms of backlash. Boycotts of LDS Owned businesses and protests outside LDS Temples and LDS Houses of worship.
First the boycotts. When confronted with the accusation that it helped finance the campaign for prop 8, the Church was very quick to point out that it only donated money for a couple of plane tickets, and that all donations were donated directly by members of the Church to the campaign. It actually came out later that the Church has indeed donated more than simply this, and currently the National Organization on Marriage in California is being investigated as being a front for the LDS Church.
Members who donated funds did so because they were asked to by LDS Church leaders. Meetings were held throughout California and letters read from the pulpit in other States soliciting donations. This was a California issue, and yet people from Utah, Idaho, Nevada and other states were all asked to contribute as well.
So the Church asked members to donate, and then left them all swinging in the breeze, saying that they made their own decisions. Mormons don't make their own decisions if they have a leader telling them what to decide - that's my opinion, but it's been developed from years and years of observance.
Now, if you're a Mormon or even if you have conservative type friends, I am sure that in the past few years you've received emails from friends and family, referencing specific businesses which support gay rights and urging the recipient to first, pull any support from those businesses and second forward the email on to encourage others to do the same.
When I applied for a mortgage some years ago, my mortgage officer, a very active Mormon cautioned me on my use of All-State for insurance since they were the number one supporter of Gay Rights. He then mentioned that Ford and HP are major contributors as well.
Well folks, I don't use All-State any more, but that's due to other reasons, but I drive a Ford, and this post is being type on an HP machine, connecting to my home network, which consists of 3 HP computers in various forms, as well as an HP Printer.
So if it's OK for Mormons to recommend boycotts of Gay Rights supporting companies, why if members made "their own decisions" to lend to support to organizations which had the sole intention of squishing those right, wouldn't it be OK for people who disagree with that to pull support and encourage boycotts of LDS owned businesses?
Secondly, the protesting outside of LDS temples and meeting houses... Well, the LDS Temple is the symbol in LDS Culture of the perfect LDS marriage. It is also the symbol which the Church uses to promote itself. If you live in Utah, check out the billboards on I-15... There's the temple!! If you want to protest an organization, you don't do it at the local Walmart, you go to the place which represents the organization. By leaving their position of political neutrality and becoming involved in a political debate, the Church changed from a religious organization to a political one, and as such opened itself up to being protested against.
The Church also used it's meeting houses as a place where requests were read for donations to support the cause as I've already mentioned. In addition to this, Church meetinghouses, (In violation of Church policies that they not be used for political meetings) were used as local hubs from which to coordinate a vast volunteer effort to encourage the community to vote in favor of prop 8.
Anyway, I think I've beaten that topic to death...
You've got issues, dude. I won't pretend to understand them. Maybe I'd feel the same had I been mormon. But maybe you should spend more time working that out and less time bashing a church that you apparently still wish to be affiliated with on at least some level.
I think his/her use of the word dude was intended to sound condescending. Relatives of mine often do this as well... "Oh, look at you in your coooooool shoes." It's like the clueless business man who tries to relate to his kids by speaking with their vernacular... Oh I get texting... LOL, laugh out loud, WTF, why the face....
Anyway, again the commenter brings up that they might feel the same, had I been a mormon - why keep bringing that up? I learned a trick about lying when I was a kid... Don't give details. Human nature seems to teach us that if you're going to tell a lie, give as many details in support of your lie as you can. "I was late home from my girlfriends house because I lost track of time." is easier to believe than "So we were sitting on the couch, a book of mormon's width apart, and right as I was about to leave her dad asked me to come help him with a leaky faucet and you always tell me to be helpful, and I thought I had time, and then it took longer than I thought and.... " when in reality, the game of tonsil hockey and lets feel each other up was just too much fun to leave, and so I'm late!
Anyway, to finish it off, he/she suggests I spend my time working out my issues and less time bashing a church that I still want to be affiliated with....
Dude!! I think I've covered why I still attend, and I've been pretty open about the fact, that were I a single guy, I would have been gone a long time ago. The LDS Church is not just a fun club for Sunday. It's a whole lifestyle and encompasses you entire life, and affects everything you do. You can't just walk away. It's part of who you are and where you came from.
This blog is my attempt to deal with it.
But the part that confused me the most... bashing the church...? You claim to know nothing or at least very little about Mormonism, and yet feel sufficiently informed to know that I am bashing it?
I don't believe I have ever shared anything untrue or false about the LDS Church. Sure I've shared things they don't want to be public knowledge, and due to certain interactions, I've been left with a lot of hurt feelings and a pretty crappy taste in my mouth, but at the end of the day, I'm just curious as to why this person even cares! Oh no wait... If my alleged claims are correct, it would explain a whole lot.
Footnote: Having typed this all up earlier this morning, I decided to try and let Mr. Anonymous come clean - I seriously am a nice guy. I tried to be as civil as possible. But the doubts kept getting stronger. Finally, I asked a very good friend of mine, with more experience than I to review the comments and give me his honest opinion (Without sharing my initial suspicions with him.) He was kind enough to share his opinion as a comment, which I greatly appreciated.
Mr. Anonymous' response to that was I think right in line too!
You can see all those comments if you link over to the other blog. And I apologize for the language. It's never fun being caught!!
Dude?!? Wrong Side!!
Wow. Weird exchange. I'm not Mormon, but I've become fascinated with how complex it is for you all to leave that church. I'm in the middle of my own "spiritual journey" right now, but if / when I decide to leave my present church or denomination, I'll just pick up the phone book and start church shopping. Sure, I guess there's a little discomfort, but it's akin to changing jobs or offices or something, NOTHING compared to what Mormons go through to leave (or sometimes, to stay).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I admire your strength of character and grace under pressure through your journey. Your responses and comments were perfect and, in my opinion, very Christ-like, if it's possible to know how Christ would run a blog of course. ; )
Regards,
Clink
Thanks Clink! I believe it was Philip Pullman who made a comment about how we could all learn more from following the great religious philosophers, including Christ.
ReplyDeleteI've actually been feeling somewhat partial to Universal Unitarianism of late(Although I haven't attended yet), primarily because of their focus on the individuals personal journey and broad acceptance of all anyone.
Clink, you shill!
ReplyDeleteEver heard of Rigby, Idaho?
I started to reply to your comment, but now I've decided to wait until I figure out your motives. Your own "spiritual journey." Sure, whatever you say.
Urban Koda,
ReplyDeleteI've been interested in Unitarianism lately for the same reasons. Not quite ready to make that leap yet, though; it would be a lot easier if I could find a Christian church that allows me to believe and grow at my own pace. And supports it, and provides opportunities for it. Ah well, we'll see.
aMiller,
That's what I meant about the weird exchange. Peaceful and friendly one minute, then volatile, for what seems, to me, like no reason. I meant absolutely no offense in my comments, but I'm happy to provide clarification if it will help...
"Spiritual Journey" -- I am a Midwestern Christian who has always considered myself a spiritual rather than religious person (honestly, I thought I'd invented the phrase). My family and I are members of a mainline church that I was once very committed to, not for the denominational teachings but for the loving community and spiritual growth. For a variety of reasons we are considering leaving that church, which would mean leaving a community that we were, at least at one time, very close to. And we're not quite sure where to land, because our beliefs have evolved (and will continue to I'm sure; hence the "journey" reference) over time, so that for instance, I'd have a hard time in a church that refused to ordain women.
"Motives" -- I'm not out to convert anybody, if that's the concern. I love Mormonism; was interested in it from a very young age, have done tons of research and reading, both pro- and anti-, for years. In a nutshell: love the people, love the ideals, can't accept the doctrine, have lots of problems with Joseph Smith. But that's my personal conclusion, and I have no desire or time to try to force it on someone else (especially since my conclusions may change; ah, the "journey").
I think I've gravitated to the "questioning Mormon" blogs lately because they mirror my own struggles (albeit in a much bigger way, as in my original comment) and, interestingly, my personal belief system, even though we come from completely different religious backgrounds. That's about it on "motives," unless "wasting time reading blogs when I should be working" is noteworthy... ; )
Clink
Clink, I suspect aMiller's comments were more of a snarky jab at me, based on yesterday's exchange, rather than being directed at you :-)
ReplyDeleteI like your use of the term journey, that's the reason I use it too. I think when we stop questioning, stop seeking for truth and decide to just keep journeying on the same path, we lose our zest for life.
I don't know how long you've been reading, but it's been a while since I shared this...
Back while I was doing my two year stint as a missionary, the highlight of the entire experience was a 4 hour discussion with a protestant minister. He knew a great deal about the LDS Church and liked some aspects, while disagreeing strongly with other aspects of it. We spent the whole time comparing ideas, beliefs, scriptures and by the end my companion was livid because neither of us convinced the other, but I think we both learned a lot - likely me more than him.
Clink, I was kidding. You know, at first I was really mad about being accused of being some mormon shill from Arizona. It was definitely something I wasn't prepared for when I commented. I have no idea what mormon "apologists" say, I'm not against gay marriage, and my defense of the mormon church was only related to the fact that I do think they have been unfairly targetted after prop 8.
ReplyDeleteSeriously I can't believe the paranoia here!
Mr. Miller,
ReplyDeleteWith all due respect, you keep claiming to 'just' be defending a Church which you say you know nothing about, against retribution motivated by a heretofor unseen vile hatred for the Church in question.
Peaceful protests are part of the democratic process and are part of the package deal the Church got when it entered a political arena.
Firings due to belief and vandalism have been condemned by all major LGBT organization involved in this. And are infact what many of the groups are fighting against as well.
Perhaps if you can address what vile hatred you are defending the LDS Church from, and what motivates you defend an organization you know nothing about, nor apparently about it's involvement prior to the passage of prop 8, then we'll take you a little more seriously.
Okay, let me lay it out for you. I moved to Utah just after the election last year back when everybody was talking about prop 8 here. A guy I worked with had some opinions on the matter and this is what sparked my interest.
ReplyDeleteHe was either a former Mormon or not one at all, I don't think I asked. I kept quiet because I didn't feel informed enough to inject my thoughts.
I agreed with him somewhat but there's one thing that really got me about the conversation. It was his absolute hatred for the LDS church. I had never seen such contempt for a people in my life. I'm somebody that usually roots for the underdog, so I played devil's advocate in my mind for the next few days. I paid attention to the news stories. I particularly remembered seeing a story on NBC where some of the protesters at the LDS temple in LA had vandalized the entrance.
I saw the protests at the temple here too. No, I didn't see anything violent, but there was yelling and signs I thought were distasteful. So this doesn't equate with persecution of blacks during civil rights. It still got me very worked up. Mostly though it comes back to the hate I saw in my coworker that day. I see that at the protests and I see it on a lot of these blogs.
Recently I read something about the gay kiss protests over there and I started researching the whole prop 8 Mormon connection. Through linking or googling I found myself on this blog- www.mindonfire.com. Reading through some of the comments I started linking commenters' blogs. Yours was one of them. I read a few posts and decided to comment. The other thing that riled me is here you are post after post flogging the LDS church, yet you can't leave it because you think you'll lose your job or that your wife's extended family will get mad. That's some real bravery right there, man.
So I don't care if you take me seriously or if you think I'm somebody I'm not. You seem like a decent guy personally, but I'll think twice before commenting here again.
OK, so you have a co-worker who hates the Church or showed hate one day in the past which affected you, and you saw some signs which you felt were distasteful at a protest. That isn't anything close to the crazy vilification of the Mormons that you've been alluding to.
ReplyDeleteMy "cowardice" over leaving the Church has nothing to with being afraid of my extended family getting mad. In LDS Culture, leaving the Church is in effect signing your entrance ticket to hell. My wife's extended family are extremely decent and caring people, and were I to leave outright, it would cause them a great deal of pain. I'm introducing them to the idea gradually, and I suspect at some point in the future they will be prepared for me to share the full extent of my feelings with them. You are no doubt fully aware that this is in fact a very Mormony way of approaching the whole situation.
As for my employment... you have obviously never faced serious discrimination in the work-place. I've faced it a few times, as a Mormon and as a White person in various other places in the world. The worst part of being subject to discrimination, is that you are judged against a presupposed idea in the mind of someone else, and typically your character is left by the way side. You have no control over the reason why you are treated badly, cut from a sports team or fired from your employment. I've experienced the first two, and I would rather not experience the last. If that makes me a coward, well then I guess I am.
Ultimately my religion has nothing to do with my employment and therefore I see no reason to bring it up and subject myself to discrimination based on it.
You bring up how you want to be respected, yet you have failed to show any respect towards anyone else here. You talk about how it's the typically Mormon / Non-mormon feud with accusations going back and forth, and yet with 1 exception, you're the only one making the accusations here.
Like I've told you already, I'm always welcoming of opposing ideas, but to make wild accusations about treatment of an organization, without any substantive evidence to support your assertion is disrespectful to me and everyone who comments and participates in the discussions here.
The level of offense you're taking over this discussion appears to be in direct opposition to your claimed indifference to the cause of the whole prop 8 debacle. Hence the opinion of myself and others that you are masquerading as something you are not.
If you're indeed a non-mormon as you claim, might I suggest you seriously investigate joining the LDS Church. With the amount of opposition they're experiencing right now, I'm sure they could use you fervent support from within the ranks of the fold.
As a final thought for you, as you sit in front of your computer and pass judgment on me and others in a similar situations...
ReplyDeleteThere are three types of people as far a Mormons are concerned.
Members, non-members and ex-members. Members are great and non-members have the potential to be great as missionary prospects.
Ex-members are considered the scum of the earth and are treated as such. If your colleague at work was indeed a member at one time, I would bet that he has faced some pretty crappy treatment at the hands of people who claim to be true followers of Christ. Ironically a man who accepted all, even though he too was rejected by his religion.
Leaving Mormonism is rough. You realize that you've been lied to most of your life, and your entire perception of life and community is changed. Your whole life you've been taught that those who leave become drunkards, drug addicts, whores and adulterers. You are told that you'll join a group of people so embittered by their disaffection from the Church that they spend every waking minute trying to tear the organization down until it becomes an obsession that drives them insane. Unfortunately for many this becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, more often than not aided by continuous contempt from family members and once close friends. It is an absolutely horrendous thing to go through, and while I've only experienced the very tip of it personally, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Yes, many of us become paranoid. We've been rejected by family and friends. People we thought we could trust, now treat us like toxic waste. We're spurned by our neighbors, who spend their time talking about us behind our backs and refusing to let their children play with ours. We're rejected, our immediate families are rejected and in the eyes of our communities we become as salt which has lost it's savor. Good for nothing, but to be cast out and trampled under foot, all in the name of a 'Loving' God.
Urban Koda, you're impossible to debate with. You've taken my simple, casual defense of the LDS church in the case of the backlash and used it to vilify me from the get-go. On what grounds are you arguing that you deserve my respect?
ReplyDeleteYes, I was offended by the prop 8 backlash but don't mistake my offense to that for the offense I demonstrated at the other blog. You and your friend lost my respect when you sarcatically accused me of masquerading as a shill, then proceded to take whatever time you did to create a whole post about it here. Never once have you given me the benefit of the doubt.
Today what riles me up is the way you're arguing. You completely discount my reaction to my co-worker's hate. You say there is no evidence of what I am saying about the prop 8 backlash. I can't produce my co-worker but I bet I can find that picture of defacing the temple online somewhere. I can find pictures of the signs.
I don't claim indifference to the "prop 8 debacle." I thought I was clear on my position. I am not against gay marriage, but there's no way you're going to convince me it's a right. I also respect the democratic process. I never said "sucks to be you, now just live with it." Sucks to be you, now suck it up, respect others, and find another legal resource. I'm not opposed to them overturning prop 8 through some legal means.
You are judging my identity and motives based on your misunderstanding of my points.
Would I ever join the LDS church? I don't think so and I've told you why. I can't get over the corruption that's created when you introduce man into the mix. I can't submit myself to a man-made organization. But thanks for your snarky suggestion that I join up because they could use me.
Debate needs intelligent and well though out responses on both sides in order to be successful.
ReplyDeleteIt also requires some sense of respect for your opponent, which you have whined about not getting, but have refused to offer yourself.
I'm sure your co-workers hatred affected you, and I never discounted that. But you keep referring to intimidation against the whole Church and hatred worse than you have ever seen against the whole Church. If this was a debate about your co-worker then obviously you are correct, but Elder Oaks wasn't speaking to your co-worker or you, he was addressing the world, and compared a democratic response to a political agenda to lynching of black people. He was dead wrong.
In my opinion he gave the speech as a way to encourage hatred against the gay minority and the circle the Mormon wagons around the leadership. I present as evidence for this assertion, the fact that the press was notified of the speech but put under an time embargo about covering it. Suspecting condemnation, Elder Oaks also submitted to a Q&A session - to which the press were not invited, and was produced by LDS Public Affairs. The entire thing smells bad.
You continue to say you're not opposed to gay marriage, but say there is no way I'll ever convince you it's right. I have never tried, but that mix of ideas is why we think you're masquerading as someone you're not.
You talk about the LDS Church being corrupt, but keep defending immoral actions by it's corrupt leadership. Another reason we think you're something you're not.
You initially claimed your references to prop 8, where only a reason you felt you needed to give to find out why I was still a member of the LDS Church and understand my plight. But now you're back to arguing the whole prop 8 thing - which you don't care about, but you do at the same time.
You're not being consistent, and anytime we question you on it, you talk about how we're attacking and disrespecting you, how we're paranoid, and I'm impossible to debate with.
It's the way Mormons debate too. Elder Oaks is a prime example. To paraphrase him... We had a democratic right to protest gay marriage and voice our opinions. We have a democratic right to define your lifestyle as an abominable evil in the sight of God. But how dare you think you can criticize us and protest our involvement. We're Gods true Church, and if you do, you're being horrible and mean and it's NOT FAIR!!
Why don't you take some time. Figure out what your points actually are, if you indeed have any. Come up with some solid evidence to support your assertions and then we can have the debate it seems you so desperately want.
I'm sure your co-worker hates the Church, and I've offered some reasons as to why he might. But I'm afraid that doesn't really count as evidence for the assertions you're trying to make.
Likewise I fully admit that a few temples and meeting houses were vandalized, and I as well as all of the major organization involved in trying to defeat Prop 8, and protest it's passage have condemned that behavior as unacceptable.
Like I've said before, if you want a fight or to debate with baseless assertions, ksl.com is the place you really want to be, not here.
I think part of the confusion stems from the fact that these comment columns are narrow and I'm typing on a netbook.
ReplyDeleteYou said: "But you keep referring to intimidation against the whole Church and hatred worse than you have ever seen against the whole Church."
I believe there has been intimidation against the whole church. I probably didn't word this right in my first comment. AlI knew about Mormons was what I'd hear on the news. Leading up to the prop 8 vote and after it, they were vilified worse than I had ever seen. If it will make you feel better, I can find some of the headlines.
You said: "You continue to say you're not opposed to gay marriage, but say there is no way I'll ever convince you it's right."
This may be a type, but to clarify, I said there is no way you can convince me its A right. I don't care who marries who. Really, I don't. Plus, I believe any gay couple should have the legal abilities that any married couple is afforded. But I just can't see how marriage is a right. I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that gay couples have all those benefits already in California, and marriage is just a technicality. This is why I said even if it is a right, it's not one I find important to fight for. Now IF gay people in CA can't go see their partner in the hospital, etc., it might be a right I'd fight for.
You said: "You talk about the LDS Church being corrupt, but keep defending immoral actions by it's corrupt leadership."
To be clear, I said any man-made religion is by nature corrupt. I did not single out the LDS church. And I didn't defend its leadership at all. Where did I say they were right to tell their members to vote a certain way? I didn't. I've said it before and I'll clarify again, my argument isn't so much a defense of the church as it is the every day Mormon who may or may not have supported prop 8, but who is criticized for it.
You said: "You initially claimed your references to prop 8, where only a reason you felt you needed to give to find out why I was still a member of the LDS Church and understand my plight."
Forgive me if I have no idea what your point is here. Your plight was a side note to me. Read my comment again. I mention it at the end, only because I was getting angrier as I was writing the parts about the prop 8 backlash. All that and here you are trashing a church that you wish to still be affiliated with. Even with your explanations about this bizarre culture, I find this incredibly hypocritical.
You said: "But now you're back to arguing the whole prop 8 thing - which you don't care about, but you do at the same time."
I'm arguing what's on the table at the moment. You asked me to back up my claims, so I did as best I could.
You're being disengenuous when you say I claim I "don't care" about it. This was not my point. I'm interested in it because I had that experience with my coworker. I've explained my position on the issue enough. If you didn't get it then, you won't ever get it.
You said: "Why don't you take some time. Figure out what your points actually are, if you indeed have any."
And you still wonder why I not just bleeding with respect for you?
I don't mean to fight or anything, but think about it, you've put me on the defensive since my first comment. I don't need a debate like you assert. I do tend to defend myself though. Plus you've got quite a strange culture going on here and I have to admit I'm curious about it. I honestly didn't think my decision to comment would play out like this.
Let me play shrink for a moment. I came here, find you trashing Mormons. I happened to have had a profound experience with a Mormon hater and you happen to be talking about the same things. I comment coming off a bit defensive since you essentially put me on defensive. Then it's tit for tat. You accuse me of whatever, I defend myself an rap you while I'm at it. Then it's your turn again. If we can't break this cycle, then I guess I'm wasting my time.
Your quote yesterday...
ReplyDelete"I didn't comment to have a discourse or to even make a clear argument. What I was trying to say was that I find it ironic that you continue to keep this religion when you seem to hate it so badly. I shouldn't have mentioned prop 8. I mentioned it only to help you understand why I was commenting. Mormons are not victims like the blacks were, so we agree there."
And then today
"Forgive me if I have no idea what your point is here. Your plight was a side note to me. Read my comment again. I mention it at the end, only because I was getting angrier as I was writing the parts about the prop 8 backlash."
Yesterday you said my story sounded a lot like a Mormon family you knew back east,
and today
"I happened to have had a profound experience with a Mormon hater and you happen to be talking about the same things."
Narrow columns are no excuse for not reading or making coherent points.
It seems to me you only care about the criticism the Church received for supporting prop 8, but neglect to consider that the Church did things during the campaign to invite those actions.
It's a little like a woman who after being beaten and abused by her husband for years, suddenly reaches a breaking point and kills him.
When she stands before a judge and jury, do you think she should be shown mercy and that her husbands should be taken into account when she is judged.
Or as you are attempting to argue in the case of Prop 8 retaliation. The fact that her husband beat and abused her, has absolutely no bearing her case?
I've never seen somebody be so ticky tacky about words in my life. If I would have known you'd deconstruct every phrase I type, I would never have jumped into this.
ReplyDeleteI tried to make a couple different points during the course of this whole thing. I made them with different degrees of motivation and I obviously didn't make them well. Whatever. God forbid you take a moment from disecting each word I write and address my points, or at least help me round them out for myself.
I didn't comment on the mind on fire blog. I commented here because several stars aligned. You were talking about what I was interested in, you are more like the Mormons I knew before than most "Utah Mormons" seem to be, you say the same things about Utah Mormons that they did, plus you've got this interesting dilemma. All of those things made me think to post a comment. Just because I emphasize one in one post, and another in another, doesn't mean I'm being inconsistent.
And yeah, format is important. If we were talking face to face I bet we could have worked this out in a few minutes. Instead we're relegated to a blog with character limits on the comments, narrow columns, and we don't get each other. It's not that I can't make good points, it's that this arena isn't my strong point. It is for you, congratulations.
You said: "It seems to me you only care about the criticism the Church received for supporting prop 8, but neglect to consider that the Church did things during the campaign to invite those actions."
That might be. My reaction was off the cuff.
You said: "It's a little like a woman who after being beaten and abused by her husband for years, suddenly reaches a breaking point and kills him."
Are you really making that comparison? I get where you're going with it, but I wouldn't take it to that extreme. In the same line of thought, would you be willing to claim any role in my frustration and hostility toward you? Same principle, right?
In answer to your final question... Yes I am making that comparison, and if you had any hint of empathy for a homosexual person, then you would understand that analogy completely.
ReplyDeleteYour hostility is unfortunately the only other thing I think needs to be addressed at this point.
In 3+ years of blogging, I have never had anyone come on this blog and respond to another commenter the way you responded to Mr Gregoire on Wednesday. It was inappropriate and down right rude.
The way you worded your response to my post left me and obviously Mr Gregoire in little doubt that you were little more than a shill.
With my mormon upbringing, I tend to approach these thing slowly, without wanting confrontation. Much the same as you have been approaching it - well up until you got caught in your deceit.
aMiller, there is no doubt in my mind that you are an active member of the LDS Church, and will likely take this response as a badge of honor, that somehow you have won an argument.
Let me state in no uncertain terms that this is in no way an admission of defeat. First you have failed to provide even a close to coherent set of points. As I stated before, you bring up baseless assertions, and change opinions with almost every comment, and when you are called on it, you play the persecution card (Much like Elder Oaks) and start whining about not getting respect, and how you should have know that you should never have commented, and then off you go again, spouting forth the usual LDS crap about unfair persecution from the gays and the awful hatred - Newspaper headlines? Huh?!?!
So here's the deal. Since you're a mormon, and have resorted to being a lying little snake in order to defend your faith, I'm afraid I am left with no choice but to cut you off.
You are no longer welcome on this blog, and none of your comments will be allowed to appear on the board.
I suspect you will no doubt try, suspecting that I will see them prior to deletion, and you will no doubt include a string of profanity about my paranoia, lack respect for you and other such garbage. I think that response will speak more to your lack of character than anything else.
If I may leave you with one final though...
As you sit in your next temple recommend interview and are asked if you sustain the leaders of the Church, you can hold your head high, knowing that you have been a blindly obedient little puppet for them.
However when they ask you about being honest in all your dealings, you're going to remember this exchange. Somehow in your mind, you're going to justify your dishonesty by convincing yourself that you lied to defend God and his one true Church, and that makes it OK. I'm sure you'll be successful.
I harbor no resentment against you, other than the fact that as already stated, you are no longer welcome here. You and people like you are the reason I no longer wish to be associate with the LDS Church. It is based on some wonderful principles like love, forgiveness and honesty that I will hold to forever, but I think the general membership and leaders of the Church would do well to actually apply those principles.
I regret that it came to this, but you have left me no choice.