Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Testimony

I've been listening to a podcast over on Mormon Stories where the author of a new book, The Book of Mammon by Daymon M. Smith. I'm tempted to read his book, but I might wait until I can get a copy in the local library. It's $27 on Amazon, and I'm rather a cheapskate.

Anyway, as I'm listening to the podcast, they're discussing the debate between two early leaders of the LDS Church, about the origins of God. It would seem to me that if there was a God, and if these men were able to speak to him, as they claim to have been able to, then the origins of God, wouldn't exactly be a mystery.

So listening to that, and pondering my own thoughts about the origins of the Universe and a concept of God...

I'd like to bear my testimony to you all, that I know with a slight shadow of doubt, in the form of reasonable skepticism, that Darwin was a genius, that his theory of evolution has been the best explanation for the origins of life on *this world, and that the wonder and magnificence of nature is truly remarkable.

I leave these things with you in the name of none other than me.

Urban!

* - Additional text added to clarify and keep my testimony honest!

4 comments:

  1. Now that is a testimony I can believe in, am uplifted by, and makes me look forward to returning for more of the good word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it!!

    Mrs Koda and I watched the PBS special - What Darwin Never Knew a month or two back...

    Still get goosebumps when I think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone always has to nit-pick. Wonderful testimony! I agree...mostly. That Darwin was a genius is absolutely true, but his Theory of Evolution doesn't explain the origin of the world. That's what most creationists like to claim that it does. The Theory of Evolution explains the diversity of life on the Earth and how it all arose from a single or very few ancestors. The origin of the world and the universe is studied by geologists and cosmologists and doesn't really have anything to do with evolution. Sorry, just saying. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glen, way to keep me honest - and no need at all to apologize!

    I guess when I think of creation, I think of the creation of life, with the assumption that the world was there already... but I guess without a planet to have that happen, it couldn't have.

    Good catch! And thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! Tell me how you really feel!