Behavior Control
- Regulation of individual's physical reality
- "Where, how, and with whom the member lives and associates, what clothes, colors, hairstyles the person wears, what food the person eats, drinks, adopts, and rejects, how much sleep the person is able to have, financial dependence, little or no time spent on leisure, entertainment, vacations.
- Major time commitment required for indoctrination sessions and group rituals
- Need to ask permission for major decisions
- Need to report thoughts, feelings, and activities to superiors
- Rewards and punishments (behavior modification techniques -- positive and negative)
- Individualism discouraged; "Group think" prevails
- Rigid rules and regulations
- Need for obedience and dependency
Information Control
- Use of deception
- Deliberately holding back information, distorting information to make it more "acceptable," "outright lying."
- Access to non-cult sources of information minimized or discouraged
- Media (books, articles, newspapers, magazines, TV, radio), critical information, former members, keep members so busy they don't have time to think and check things out.
- Compartmentalization of information; Outsider vs. Insider doctrines
- "Information is not freely accessible, information varies at different levels and missions within pyramid, leadership decides who "needs to know" what and when."
- Spying on other members is encouraged
- "Pairing up with "buddy" system to monitor and control, reporting deviant thoughts, feelings, and actions to leadership, individual behavior monitored by whole group."
- Extensive use of cult generated information and propaganda
- "Media (newsletters, magazines, journals, audio tapes, videotapes, etc), misquotations, statements taken out of context from non-cult sources."
- Unethical use of confession
- "Information about "sins" used to abolish identity boundaries, past "sins" used to manipulate and control (no forgiveness or absolution)."
Thought Control
- Need to internalize the group's doctrine as "Truth"
- "Adopting the group's map of reality as "Reality" (Map = Reality), Black and White thinking, Good vs. Evil, Us vs. Them (inside vs. outside)."
- Use of "loaded" language (for example, "thought-terminating clichés". ). Words are the tools we use to think with. These "special" words constrict rather than expand understanding, and can even stop thoughts altogether. They function to reduce complexities of experience into trite, platitudinous "buzz words" (The best analogy would be Newspeak in Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell).
- Only "good" and "proper" thoughts are encouraged.
- Use of hypnotic techniques to induce altered mental states
- Manipulation of memories and implantation of false memories
- Use of thought-stopping techniques, which shut down "reality testing" by stopping "negative" thoughts and allowing only "good" thoughts
- Rejection of rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism. No critical questions about leader, doctrine, or policy seen as legitimate
- No alternative belief systems viewed as legitimate, good, or useful
Emotional Control
- Manipulate and narrow the range of a person's feelings.
- Make the person feel that any problems are always their fault, never the leader's or the group's.
- Excessive use of guilt: identity guilt (who you are, not living up to your potential, your family, your past, your affiliations, your thoughts, feelings, actions), social guilt, historical guilt.
- Excessive use of fear: fear of thinking independently, fear of the "outside" world, fear of enemies, fear of losing one's "salvation", fear of leaving the group or being shunned by group, fear of disapproval.
- Extremes of emotional highs and lows.
- Ritual and often public confession of "sins".
- Phobia indoctrination: inculcating irrational fears about ever leaving the group or even questioning the leader's authority. The person under mind control cannot visualize a positive, fulfilled future without being in the group.
Alright, some pretty thought provoking and scary stuff in there... right? I think you all know where I'm going to go with this though...
So how does the Mormon Church stack up?
Here's the deal: I'm going to rate each item on a scale of 0 to 3.
- 0 - Not at all
- 1 - Sort of, but not really
- 2 - Yes, but they're not blatant about it
- 3 - WE HAVE A MATCH!!
For a maximum score of 111 - And if you're from British origins, I think you know about some significance of that number.
I know at last count I had at least 1 active Mormon still reading this blog, so if you disagree with my assessment of each item, please let me know which one and why you think it's wrong, and I would be happy to reconsider...
Alright, lets get going!
Behavior Control
- Regulation of individual's physical reality
I would say that there is a certain amount of this, although it's not as extreme as with other cults. Other elements of this list cover the us vs them thinking patterns and the world is out to get us, so I'll just give this a 1. - "Where, how, and with whom the member lives and associates, what clothes, colors, hairstyles the person wears, what food the person eats, drinks, adopts, and rejects, how much sleep the person is able to have, financial dependence, little or no time spent on leisure, entertainment, vacations.
This one could be taken to a greater extreme than the LDS Church, but I think they have a pretty solid grasp on it. Perhaps the most influential quote for me last year was... If a church can control your choice of underwear, what else can it control? Solid 3 here. - Major time commitment required for indoctrination sessions and group rituals
3 hours sacrament meeting + youth activities, ward activities, temple sessions, primary activities, enrichment activities, service projects, and then if you're in leadership, ward council, PEC, BYC, correlation and a whole host of others. Solid 3 here as well. It would have been a 2, if perhaps my Dad had been around more when I was a kid. - Need to ask permission for major decisions
Folks, I got a vasectomy 2 years ago, because, 5 kids is too damn many, and I can list of a host of birth control methods which I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, do not work! I didn't ask my bishop, and according to the General Handbook of Instructions, I erred grately in the overt decision not to seek his counsel. 3 - Need to report thoughts, feelings, and activities to superiors
Like the ones above, they could definitely be more extreme with this one, but it is implemented solidly. PPI's, VT interviews, Temple Recommend Interviews and a whole host of home visits. 3 - Rewards and punishments (behavior modification techniques -- positive and negative)
Be good, get a big calling, temple recommend etc. Be bad, no recommend, disfellowshipment and excommunication. Plus there's the whole guilt and judgement from the other members thing. Solid 3 here too. - Individualism discouraged; "Group think" prevails
3, and if you want to argue this, please provide and example of your stepping outside the box and how it was rewarded by the church! - Rigid rules and regulations
Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, Tithing, etc. etc. You can break them, but it's hello eternal damnation, guilt and shame. 3 - Need for obedience and dependency
Similar to the one above. A friend of mine couldn't afford to pay tithing and make his house payment. They told him to pay the tithing and they would take care of his house and utilities through the welfare program... Bzzzzt! Yes - you with the bad attitude... I'll give that a 3 Jeff!
Information Control
- Use of deception
So how did Joseph Smith translate the Book of Mormon again.... 3 - Deliberately holding back information, distorting information to make it more "acceptable," "outright lying."
Add the word faithful history in there, and you have the Church correlation committee. 3 - Access to non-cult sources of information minimized or discouraged
You can argue, but only after you tell your Bishop that you read this blog! 3 - Media (books, articles, newspapers, magazines, TV, radio), critical information, former members, keep members so busy they don't have time to think and check things out.
Ex-Mormons are a bitter bunch who just want to destroy the Church... OK, I know, I know, this post probably comes across that way, and I'd be lying if I said that wasn't my intent, but I'm still giving this a 3, primarily because everyone in the Church who finds out I have issues starts with... Have you been reading anti-mormon literature? - Compartmentalization of information; Outsider vs. Insider doctrines
So President Hinckley, do you believe man can become a God? I'll take another 3 please! - "Information is not freely accessible, information varies at different levels and missions within pyramid, leadership decides who "needs to know" what and when."
Folks, 4 words. Church Handbook of Instructions, for a solid 3. Also I worked for the organization for 6 years, and there are stories I could tell that would make your toes curl! - Spying on other members is encouraged
3 points says that you can sit in your front yard in a tank top, drinking a beer and looking through a playboy, and the bishop will know about it within 24 hours. - "Pairing up with "buddy" system to monitor and control, reporting deviant thoughts, feelings, and actions to leadership, individual behavior monitored by whole group."
Ever seen a Mormon missionary by himself? Of course if they happen to have an odd number available, they can always go out in a set of... 3 - Extensive use of cult generated information and propaganda
Again, correlation committee anyone? They also have the Ensign, New Era and Friend - How many magazines was that folks... Yep... 3 - "Media (newsletters, magazines, journals, audio tapes, videotapes, etc), misquotations, statements taken out of context from non-cult sources."
Alright, time to chill out a little. There is some of this, but it's pretty negligible. It does happen, but not very much. 1 - Unethical use of confession
And they do a pretty good job of this too. There is room for improvement but they are actually improving. However the fact that a teenage boy likes to play with himself once in a while, is not a reason for a guilt session, embarrassment and follow-up visits. Howabout we go with a 2 here. - "Information about "sins" used to abolish identity boundaries, past "sins" used to manipulate and control (no forgiveness or absolution)."
For the Church, we'll give them a 1 with this, because they are pretty good about forgetting past wrongs... Especially if it's your buddy and he wants to be in scouts. My family is a whole other matter, but we're not ranking my family here!
Thought Control
- Need to internalize the group's doctrine as "Truth"
Well, since it's the only true Church, I think they'd be happy with a 3 here. - "Adopting the group's map of reality as "Reality" (Map = Reality), Black and White thinking, Good vs. Evil, Us vs. Them (inside vs. outside)."
Oh hell yeah. I don't think I need to elaborate, but would be happy if I need to. 3 here. - Use of "loaded" language (for example, "thought-terminating clichés". ). Words are the tools we use to think with. These "special" words constrict rather than expand understanding, and can even stop thoughts altogether. They function to reduce complexities of experience into trite, platitudinous "buzz words" (The best analogy would be Newspeak in Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell).
A couple of self-claimed open minded relatives have tried to discuss my spiritual perspectives with me, and then when they back themselves into a corner, they come out blazing with "But you made sacred covenants!!!" 3 me! - Only "good" and "proper" thoughts are encouraged.
Yep! That would be a 3! And heaven help you if you wear an immodest article of clothing that causes someone else to have a bad thought!! - Use of hypnotic techniques to induce altered mental states
I would so no, but have you ever walked passed primary when they're singing, "Follow the prophet, follow the prophet, follow the prophet, don't go astraaaa ay" I would categorize that as a form of hypnosis, and with little kids too... tsk tsk... Totally deserves a 3. - Manipulation of memories and implantation of false memories
I may be wrong here, but I think they might be clean on this one. 0 - Use of thought-stopping techniques, which shut down "reality testing" by stopping "negative" thoughts and allowing only "good" thoughts
For grins and giggles, I told a co-worker about Iceland's recent victory over sexually oriented businesses... They were all excited until I declared it a victory for the feminist movement... Ha ha ha - count em... 3 ha's!! - Rejection of rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism. No critical questions about leader, doctrine, or policy seen as legitimate
I'm sure some obedient little mormon foot soldier will take issue with my giving this a 3, but in reality, it should probably be a 4! - No alternative belief systems viewed as legitimate, good, or useful
And that would be a solid 3 here as well - Yikes! I didn't think they'd be looking this bad!
Emotional Control
- Manipulate and narrow the range of a person's feelings.
I would say there is definitely manipulation of feelings, but I'm just gonna go with a 2 here. - Make the person feel that any problems are always their fault, never the leader's or the group's.
Relatives ward was told that because a healing blessing to a person with chronic pain didn't work, it was obvious they were not praying hard enough for the individual. Solid 3 here. - Excessive use of guilt: identity guilt (who you are, not living up to your potential, your family, your past, your affiliations, your thoughts, feelings, actions), social guilt, historical guilt.
HOLY HELL! That's Mormonism right there. 3 3 3!! - Excessive use of fear: fear of thinking independently, fear of the "outside" world, fear of enemies, fear of losing one's "salvation", fear of leaving the group or being shunned by group, fear of disapproval.
Just ask me about trying to get out of it! 3 years I've navigating these tricky waters and a score of 3. - Extremes of emotional highs and lows.
Actually I think Mormonism tries to temper the range of emotions. Although some of their actions do cause a great deal of depression. I'm going to go with a 1 here. - Ritual and often public confession of "sins".
Ritualistic confessions, yes, public, not so much, although the result of confession can be rather public. Just a 2 here. - Phobia indoctrination: inculcating irrational fears about ever leaving the group or even questioning the leader's authority. The person under mind control cannot visualize a positive, fulfilled future without being in the group.
Ummm, for my final answer... I'll take a 3 here as well please!
Alright, lets, tally that all up...
That's a grand total of 97 out of 111
which results in a manipulation score relative to this list of...
A little over 87%
I cringe to call TSCC a cult, but I can't disagree with ANY of your ratings and in fact I can back up your ratings with my own examples and personal experiences. It is just scary to think about how "cult-like" it is. Over on the NOM forum a few months ago there was a thread that posted an article about people who disaffect from Scientology. I can easily see that Scientology is a cult... What was scary was reading the accounts of disaffectors (not a word right?but you get it...) and seeing the similarities... http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/07/374502/couple-paid-dearly-to-leave-scientology.html
ReplyDeleteI get what you mean Reina... I really don't harbor as much resentment toward the organization as it might sound in this post, but at the same time, I compare my experiences to the list, and it is what it is.
ReplyDeleteI think sometimes it's difficult to see something when you're involved in it.
I have a friend at work, who was dating a guy who got involved in a meditation type cult... The funny thing was that when she told me about her concerns, she might as well have been describing him attending the temple for the first time... And yet, she was completely oblivious to it.
Thanks for the link, I'll have to check that out.
"Manipulate and narrow the range of a person's feelings."
ReplyDeleteYou gave this a two. You obviously haven't sat in on a relief society lesson. A good teacher was judged based on how many people were crying by the end. Regardless of what the topic was about, happy or sad, feeling the spirit always meant tears.
I'd give it a big teary-eyed, tissue using, testimony meeting, THREE.
I'll also back up your 3 rating for "Major time commitment required for indoctrination sessions and group rituals". As a youth I remember some sundays: BYC, 3 hour church, potluck, fireside. Monday- Friday: Seminairy. Monday evening: FHE. Tuesday evening: Youth. Thursday evening: Choir. Friday evening: Dance.
For propaganda/media you're also forgetting the entire deseret book industries and news.
Public confession of sins: aka certain testimony meetings.
That's scary!
ReplyDeleteI don't put much stock in this checklist. It seems to have been written by somebody who has a vested interest in slapping religions (Other than his own, I'd guess) with the scary, highly pejorative "cult" label. Pretty much any demanding group endeavor is a "cult" by these criteria. Most of them certainly apply to any branch of the armed services -- and especially the Marines or special forces -- and to a lesser extent to many sports teams and even corporations, for example.
ReplyDeleteAlso, FWIW, I'd give the LDS church mostly 1s and 2s rather than 3s. But I question the validity of the whole endeavor.
You know Kuri, a psychologist could probably have an absolute field day with my thoughts over the past week! I suspect this post has more to do with unresolved anger in my mind than it has to do with the actions of the church.
ReplyDeleteThe definition of the word cult is definitely one ensconced in much emotion and subjectiveness, and as you rightly pointed out, many religions and military type organizations would fit the mold.
For me the impact was not so much the label of cult, but more the emotions when exploring each question. I would agree that the LDS Church could be far more extreme, but perhaps their effectiveness comes from the subtlety with which they approach the control of their membership.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I'm not trying to deny that the church does almost all of those things to various degrees. I don't think I'd give any more 0s than you did. (And I realize that it's much worse in many ways in Utah than here in Oregon.) It's just the "cult" label that I object to. I don't think it tells us anything meaningful about the church.
ReplyDeleteWhere branches of the military score highly, they should be labelled a cult.
ReplyDeleteAnd my opinion is many people are eluctant t label anyting as a cult because of fear. Fear of the unknown. Nobody can really know what it is like iside a cult unless you've spent a considerable amount of time leading one-because nly the people leading know just how much the following are being manipulated and abused. S we are reluctant to lab somethig as a cult because we cant really know what a cult is. i think this list is a good start thugh. probably should be printed on a brochure and handed out to high school students.
Some might claim Koda that your list is unfairly biased/weighted towards LDS because tht is where you come frm/who you re angry at. But in real life, if you could get all the religion/cultleaders together in a meeting, being compltely honest ad open about the things tht happen in their chrches, the list would be quite a bit longer and LDS wouldn't be the only one added to the Time magazine's Top 100 Cult list.
I think the term "cult" as used with this checklist is emotionally manipulative and intellectually dishonest. So many groups and organizations engage in at least some of these behaviors that one might as well say that any group that makes demands on people is a "cult." A term that can be used so broadly is essentially meaningless in distinguishing one group from another.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be far better to simply point out that these are some of the ways that groups (and individuals) manipulate and control others. There's no need for the "Cult! Ooh scary!" labeling.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the term "cult" is intellectually dishonest. True, it has a very negative connotation but I believe that people who use that label often do so with a certain amount of anger towards the organization in question. If I were to call the LDS church a cult, I would use it with the full knowledge of its emotional charge to express my extreme discontent. The checklist is almost just a list of grievances in one form or another. I suppose it's a way to justify or reason the negativite attitude towards the organization in question.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to agree with you both... Coz, that's just what I do!
ReplyDeleteIf you head over to wikipedia, where from I obtained this list, they have some good reference material on it.
The group which seems to have worked on these is a group of anti-cult people. People who are against cultish type movements, and the definitions of a cult seem fairly solid as well.
Based on the definitions of the word cult, I would agree with Julie as to it's usage by yours truly with respect to the LDS Church.
However, going back to Kuri's thoughts... If the objective of the anti-cult movement is to try and discourage the cult-like behavior of organizations, where-in they try to manipulate their followers... Their usage of the word cult would definitely seem to be a emotive device designed to emotionally manipulate the reader against the organization being examined, which is a little hypocritical and intellectually dishonest...
And on the subject of honesty, I think perhaps I should adjust some of the language in my post... Watch for that shortly!
The true test is to see how other religions come down on this scale.
ReplyDeleteInteresting point, Daniel. I was running my church through the paces of the quiz while I was reading it, and while there were a couple of high scoring questions, the results were nowhere near as high as Koda's... although I'd be interested to see the score of a few non-denominational youth groups I was a part of.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I don't like to use the label "cult" for the LDS church.
I scored 88/111. My ratings agreed with yours on 26/37 items. I rated 2-4 under 'B' as 2's instead of 3's--time commitment, freedom to associate,permission for major decisions. While all these exist, they're not as overbearing as they could be, nor as overbearing as they were during, say the BY era. There is some freedom tolerated there.
ReplyDeleteUnder 'I', 4,8, and 11 I gave a point less each as well--access to media, 'buddy system', and unethical confession. Again, these exist, but controls aren't very effective. The buddy system on a mission certainly is though. There are certainly abuses to confessions, but most bishops try not to abuse it. I know there are horror stories.
Under 'T', I only gave a 1 for hypnotic techniques, #5, although I could be persuaded differently. The sing-song, melodic, droning of GA's at GC, the repetitious dirges, errr, Hymns, the repetitive mantra of the vanilla testimony. omg, what was I thinking, put me down for a 3 there!! You were right. Also, on the last one, tscc is starting to pay lip service to respecting other belief systems, and there are even quotes in GC from non-mormons, even though they don't allow the rank and file to dabble in that stuff.
On the first 'E' item, I actually gave it a 3 for emotional manipulation compared to your 2. Emotional manipulation just saturates every relationship, every arm-twisting, guilt-inducing requirement. I also just put a 1 for public confession. There isn't confession for everyone, tscc seems to rely much more on instilling guilt than public shaming.
So I guess my score should be a 90.
Also, I notice some comments objecting to the word 'cult' in reference to religions. Some research I did a few years back indicated that the field was starting to use the term "coercive persuasion" to replace the term 'cult,' recognizing that there is a continuum of cultishness that applies to all kinds of organizations and relationships. Obviously, tscc isn't nearly as cultlike as it was in 1857. But it still retains many of those features.
We discussed how the CoJCoL-dS fares on a cult checklist at MSP last year, see here.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I don't think the term "cult" is useful because it implies that there is a real dividing line between "cult" and "not cult". Most of the time it's a question of degree. The CoJCoL-dS is less cult-like than some organizations and more cult-like than others. I'm a little leery of these scales which have some arbitrary numerical dividing point where on one side you have a (scary, dangerous) "cult" and on the other you have "not-a-cult" (hence nothing to worry about...).
I tend to agree with the following quote when it comes to the word "cult."
ReplyDelete"A cult is a religion with no political power. "
Tom Wolfe