I was reminded of an experience some years ago...
Mormons have a huge porn problem. But I think it may be a problem largely of their own making.
When you're a man in the LDS Church, hardly a week goes by when one leader, or another isn't harping on porn.
I saw something a while back that was listing some of the negative effects of Mormonism, and one of them was having a porn addiction.
There are definite arguments to be made against the porn industry itself. Particularly in the way in which it takes advantage of people who have been damaged by sexual abuse in their past and profits off the objectification of women, but this isn't about the industry.
I think the biggest reason Mormons have a problem with porn, is that they are always hearing about it.
And watching porn as a mormon doesn't just stimulate your sex drive. It's also super bad, and you could get caught, and so it's like porn is pot, and watching it as a mormon is like lacing your pot with heroine, and then snorting coke while you smoke it.
Seriously, since I left Mormonism behind, the temptation to watch, just isn't there!
And I think that's true for most non mormons. It might be fun to sneak a peak at a boob once in a while, but seriously... There isn't that much attraction.
But that isn't where I was going with this story.
So several years ago, our stake had a special priesthood meeting about the most pressing issue facing the Church in our area...
Cue to ominous music...
DUH DUH DUH DUH.... PORN!
And to help with the presentation, they brought an expert in.
The expert was invited to speak, and he did, but then he turned the time over to one of the people he had worked with.
This guy then stood up, and said that he had a problem with porn.
He'd served as a bishop and in a Stake Presidency, and all the time, he'd been struggling with porn.
Occasionally he'd try to clean him life up, but then it would all come back just a little while later.
One of the most shocking things he said, was that a bishop had suggested to his wife that she was the problem. She needed to put out more, wear more sexy lingerie and try to entice him away from the porn. As if the poor woman wasn't feeling bad enough... Now the problem was laid at her feet.
Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good talk. He was open and honest, and I was left with the impression that no-one was exempt from this temptation.
The local leaders however were livid!
Their main complaint... He had admitted to using porn while in a leadership position.
HOLY COW!!
Leaders love to tout how humble they are, and how they're not imperfect and just regular folks, but have something like this happen, which threatens their infallibility - even indirectly, and the reaction is just fun to watch - well... Fun if you're outside the circle I guess, and a bit of a sadist!
A visual expression of human sexuality is only evil if people want it to be evil. They have expectations and hangups about sex in general. Porn just shoves that in their face. It's really too bad that we are taught to feel shamed about a very basic aspect of our humanity.
ReplyDeleteFor me, the only problem I have with porn is that people are stupid enough to pay money for it.
Really!
But I only say that out of jealousy because I wished I had made my fortune doing porn. Well, now I feel a bit of guilt because I would be making money off the shame of LDS porn addicts. Oh, wait. :)
One of the things that contributed to the nervous breakdown I had that sent me home from my mission was the overwhelming guilt that I piled on myself for having a certain fetish since I was a kid that most people would consider porn. I quickly learned that trying to block it out or shut it off only caused it to return with a vengeance later.
ReplyDeleteOnce I accepted that as part of me, I quickly came to realize that I had to be in control of it and not let it control me as I had in the past. Nowadays I encounter it on a daily basis, but most of the time I see that it's there and move on with the rare indulgence being when my libido is high.
And maybe I'm just desensitized, but a fellow anime/manga geek was quite worried about a sex scene in a series we both like. I have that volume of the manga, found that scene, and can quickly tell her that, compared to some of the stuff I've seen online that makes me want to vomit, that scene is tame.
While I can't claim that indulging in porn is healthy, what I can claim to be beneficial to the health of Mormons is to learn that their leaders are quite fallible and nothing near perfect, especially when it comes to matters that bishops have absolutely no training or inspiration on how to offer council.
Wondering why you gotta be hatin on porn . . .
ReplyDeleteThere's nothing wrong with it. It's a medium that people can use for good, bad or neutral purposes.
I say this with a smile, but no one's going to give you an award for not being tempted by porn since you left the church! :)
Oh, I do understand your point, though. I've always felt that Mormonism incubates porn addictions.
ReplyDeletePerhaps I misspoke! It's not like the temptation isn't there, but it's not like it once was :-) It's just different now!
ReplyDeleteAnd I wouldn't say I was hating on it. There are just some aspects of the industry which aren't quite kosher, but that said... I enjoy a good boob (and other stuff) as much as the next guy - or gal!!
Dave P. did a much better job of summarizing my point in the last paragraph of his comment, than I did though.
I would almost say that the issue of 'Porn Addiction' is largely a Mormon construct. By making it 'evil' and 'insidious', it actual makes it a problem.
ReplyDeleteThat's not to say that there aren't people out there for whom it could be a problem, but if you're a TBM and you take a peek... It's not going to end well.
This issue most definitely becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy largely because the leadership has yet to realize that if you tell teenagers to NOT do something, they'll do it.
ReplyDeleteThat's priceless. How dare he tell the truth and besmirch the good name of the leadership. That's probably my number one problem with the church: you can't be real. Everyone has to keep up appearances. It's so stifling.
ReplyDeleteKoda...
ReplyDeleteI followed a link from my site to yours and have been perusing your posts for awhile, following your links and such all over blogdom.
I just got to say... WOW! I'm quite glad I followed my impulse and followed that link that brought me here. I like your style. I like your topics and I'm so curious to read more.
Thanks for writing.
~Angie
Thanks Angie! I actually found your blog earlier today from Facebook. We know each other :-) I'll shoot you a message in a sec!
ReplyDelete